The Port of Gulfport is committed to environmental stewardship and strives to reduce the environmental impact of our operations by protecting and preserving the seaside community of Gulfport.
The Port of Gulfport will implement, develop, and maintain an environmental program that will:
- Ensure an environmental program fosters employee, tenant, and community awareness of the importance of environmental stewardship.
- Comply with all environmental laws and regulations.
- Continually work to improve the quality of life of our surrounding community by defining and establishing environmenal objectives, targets, and best management practices while also improving our environmental performance under the Green Marine certification program.
- Engage in conversations with the community and employ responsible and sound methods of pollution prevention.
Programs and Initiatives:
The Port of Gulfport is undertaking concrete and measurable actions to not only meet environmental standards, but also exceed them. In order to conduct operations in the most efficient and environmentally sensitive manner, the Port is implementing the following green initiatives:
- Improving the aesthetic value
of the Port’s presentation to
the City of Gulfport with a comprehensive landscaping program making the Port’s property blend more seamlessly with the surrounding community. In addition to the new vegetation along HWY90, a unique element of the landscaping plan is the construction of a water tower designed to resemble a lighthouse.
- Purchasing and commissioning three new electrified ship-to-shore gantry cranes.
- Installing new lights that meet International Dark Sky standards.
- Financially supporting community groups in which their purpose is to promote environmental protection and stewardship aimed at air quality improvement, marsh creation, pollution prevention and remediation, storm-water management, sustainability, and waste reduction.
- Partnering with EPA on Workforce Development concerns and issues.
- Providing an electrified set out yard for our customers, allowing them to make truck moves outside of the secure area and normal terminal hours, without having to run diesel units.